Sunday morning, and we were in for a shock in Hastings – this Farmers’ Market is huge!! Held Every Sunday 8.30am – 12.30pm at Hawke’s Bay A&P Showgrounds, Hastings, I knew that Hawke’s Bay Farmers’ Market was the largest in the country, but I had no idea just how big – and what a huge range of produce they have:
The Out Standing Kitchen was certainly the place to be, with 5 of the stallholders showing us just how good fresh and local food is! We got to try a huge variety of the Markets produce, as well as hear all about the care and attention that these people put into making great products everyday.
Sally from Woodburn Venison cooked up a Spiced Vinson Leg with Onion Couscous:
– 1 Denver Leg or Leg Fillet
– 1/2 Tbsp Cumin
– 1/2 tsp Chilli powder
– 1/2 Tbsp Paprika
– 1 cup dry Couscous
– 1 cup stock
– 2 Tbsp Village Press Olive Oil
– 2 sliced Onions
– 1 Tbsp Thyme
- Place couscous in a bowl and add boiling stock, cover with plastic wrap and stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat, then add thyme and onion, cooking until onion is well browned.
- Combine spices and toss venison to coat.
- Denver leg: brown on all sides, then finish in oven for 7 minutes (oven time can be calculated by: grams x 2.5 = time in oven) OR Leg Fillets: cook steaks for 1 – 2 minutes each side, depending on thickness.
- Place cooked couscous in pan with onion and warm through.
- Slice the venison and serve with couscous and rocket leaves.
European Gourmet showed us all the tricks for a great Pumpkin and Carrot Risotto:
– 100g butter
– 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
– 1 onion, chopped (Krismaw Gardens)
– 2 carrots, diced (Krismaw Gardens)
– 3 cloves of garlic (Krismaw Gardens)
– 100g Pancetta (The Deli)
– 1 litre European Gourmet Stock, warmed
– 280g arborio rice
– 2 cups diced, pre-cooked pumpkin (Krismaw Gardens)
– 100g grated hard cheese (Hohepa)
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a large saucepan, fry pancetta, carrots, garlic and onion until the onion is clear.
- Add rice and stir over a low heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add one ladle of stock and stir until liquid is absorbed. continue to add stock in this manner for 20 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, add cooked pumpkin.
- once rice is cooked, add cheese and stir.
- Garnish with Rocket leaves from Epicurean Supplies and St Andrews Lime Dressing.
Lemon infused Pasta from Pasta Love was definitely the highlight of this incredible dish – Lemon Pasta with Fresh Asparagus and Herbs.
– 1 packet Pasta Love Lemon Pasta
– 1 bunch fresh Asparagus
– fresh herbs
– lemon rind
– Olive Oil
– small knob of butter
- Cook and drain pasta in a big pot of salted water (8 minutes).
- While this is cooking, fry asparagus, fresh herbs and lemon rind in a a mixture of olive oil and butter.
- When both elements are ready, combine with fresh lemon rind and white pepper.
Anne from Orcona Chillis whipped up Harissa Coated Lamb on a Fresh Farmers’ Market Salad with mint and Chilli dressing – Yum! We’re both suckers for spicy food so she had us at Chilli 🙂 Check out the recipe below, and the video for all the details:
– Harissa Paste (Orcona Chillis)
– Butterfly Lamb Rump (Ti Kouka)
– Salad Greens (Epicurean Supplies)
– Olive Oil (Village Press)
– Strawberries (Mountain View )
– Mint n Chilli Sauce (Orcona Chillis)
- Mix a little olive oil into Harisas and rub on lamb. leave for at least 10 minutes, or overnight.
- Heat pan and sear the lamb on all sides to a lovely golden colour (approx 5 minutes each side). Remove from heat and rest in a warm oven (130 degreees) to finish cooking and relax the meat.
- slice salad ingredients and lay on a large platter, drizzle with Mint n Chilli sauce.
- After 10 minutes, remove meat from oven and slice thinly.
- Place lamb slices over salad, season with salt and pepper.
Thanks for stopping by, catch you all next time in Tauranga! -Blair + Kylie-